Sunday 15 February 2015

That Time I Kind of Travelled the World Part 5: Milan

I remember the dive in the Taxi from our apartment in Rome to the train station very clearly, the driver hardly spoke any English and he was listening to an Italian radio station. Neither mum, my grandma nor I speak Italian so of course we had no idea what they were saying on the radio however the driver could not stop laughing and was getting really embarrassed and trying to hold it in which in turn, made my mum laugh and then me and then my grandma. All three of us laughing but not knowing the joke but it was probably the most memorable thing about Rome which is hard to believe because of all the great things you go there to see yet I remember that the most but I think that those things are really special to remember from holidays and also in everyday life. "The little things" as some people like to say.

All I can say about Milan was WOW. Actually, I'm going to say more than that; SHOPPING, SHOPPING, SHOPPING! The hotel that we stayed in was on the same road (just down 15 minutes or so, it was a long road) as the biggest shopping section in all of Milan of course I wondered aimlessly in and out of designer shops in total awe knowing that I would never be able to afford 5000 euros for a pair of shoes but just being in the same room as the designer brands I read about in magazines made me feel special. Wacky, I know but everything was uber gorgey mc gorgeous and I fell in love with a city! As well as the very, Very, VERY highend shops there were also some very reasonable shops still influenced by the designer shops around them offering very stylish clothing at a price more to my liking. I had never been to a H&M before or Bershka but these shops became two of my favourites very quickly. Even quicker was the money leaving my wallet...

I turned 17 in  Milan and it will be a birthday I will never forget. We went on a city tour and ended up seeing Leonardo De Vinci's 'The Last Supper' and for an art lover, this was very special to me. Our tour guide was very opinionated (but in a good was) and made the tour very fun so a very big thank you goes to the French man, living in Italy giving English guided tours. Also thank you to the Chinese lady that worked at my new favourite restaurant (because you go to Italy to eat Chinese food right?) who remembered us all three days we went there and for giving me a green tea ice-cream with a candle in it. Even the food in Milan was fancy with little birds and roses carved out of carrot.









I definitely recommend Milan as a place to visit and I will definitely be going back. I definitely did not have enough time there at all as there was just so much to see and do!


No comments:

Post a Comment